Posts Tagged ‘doctors notice’

More and more these days, employees want desparately to leave their employment, but in some cases they are afraid to quit because they don’t think they will then qualify for unemployment benefits. While it is true that in most states, if you quit your job you do not remain eligible for unemployment benefits, there are circumstances where if you quit you can still recover those benefits.

Generally, when someone quits their job, they are not entitled to unemployment compensation benefits. However, if the person quits their job for GOOD CAUSE ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE EMPLOYER, then unemployment compensation benefits will be paid to the employee. Good cause attributable to the employer means that the reason you quit your job was because of something the employer did or failed to do which made continuing to work for the employer unreasonable.

Some Examples Might Include:

Employer significantly changes your work conditions such that a reasonable person would elect to leave the employment rather than continue under those conditions. These conditions include decrease in pay and change in shift from day to night;

You are experiencing harassment or discrimination, you have repeatedly complained to the employer about the situation without getting any relief;

The working conditions are so harsh, you are required to quit for health reasons;

Under Florida Law, if you are physically unable to continue in the work (even though it is not the employer’s fault) that is good cause to quit. You will need medical evidence, such as a doctor’s note, to support your case and you will need to give notice to the employer of the problem and allow him to try to give you work you can still do before quitting.

These are just some examples, but they are not exhaustive. So if you quit your job for what you believe is good cause, apply for unemployment benefits. If you are rejected, make sure to file all necessary appeals within the deadlines provided by the notices received from the unemployment office. If you unsure of what to do or how to handle the matter, contact an employment law attorney.